Change of status J1, B2 to F1

If you are in the United States as a participant in the Work and Travel program (J1 visa), tourist (B1/B2), or other non-immigrant visa holder, you can submit documents to the immigration and adjust your status to the student (F-1 visa), which will give you the opportunity to study in our school in full-time programs. In our school we have experts on international students, who will help you to prepare the necessary paperwork in order to change your status to F1 without any charges or additional fees!
The process of changing the status will not be complicated for you - we will help you at all the stages of the procedure. Simply fill out the online application form, and we will provide you detailed information on the following actions.

If you have any further questions related to the change of status, or you want to get a Free consultation - please contact us:

How to apply for change of your current non-immigrant status to F-1 Status

  1. Consult our foreign student adviser.
  2. Fill out an application form, register for your chosen program, choose your payment plan, pay the tuition (the minimum payment is $590!) and the following expenses:

    Registration fee $100 (non-refundable)
    Processing Fee $150 (non-refundable)
    SEVIS Fee $200 (non-refundable) -- US DHS Fee
    Mailing fee $30 (non-refundable)

  3. Provide copies of statements of your financial support. You can either fax them, or send as scanned images to, or mail them to the school's address. These documents are required by US Immigration and Naturalization Service from the school to issue an I-20 form. You can use one of three possible ways of stating your financial support.
    Please note that in every case your available funds should be approximately $1300 per month of your intended study (for instance, if you intend to study 6 months, your balance should be no less than $7,800). You may either:
    • Submit an original statement from your bank account.
    • if you have an American resident or citizen as your sponsor, have him or her fill out affidavit of support (I-134 form) and submit his or her bank statement.
    • if you have a sponsor who resides in your country, have your sponsor write a sponsorship letter (in English) and submit his or her bank statement. In the sponsorship letter your sponsor should clearly state that he or she will cover all your tuition, and living and medical expenses.
  4. Write a letter (in English) explaining why you decided to study in the United States.
  5. Submit your current address in the US and your permanent address in your home country.
  6. Fill out and sign an I-539 Form (Application for Change of Non-Immigrant Status). School office will assist you in filling out this form.
  7. Submit a personal check or a money order in the sum of $370 addressed to US Department of Homeland Security. All your submitted documents and I-20 student Form will be sent to Immigration and Naturalization Service. Your approval or denial entirely depends on the specifics of your case, your current status, and INS officerВ’s decision.

Remember: Your documents must be submitted and received by INS before the expiration date indicated on your I-94 form. *INS is in the process of changing its regulations regarding change of status procedures. Please refer directly to Bell Language School Administration to find out whether you are eligible for change of your non-immigrant status to F-1.

All F-1 Students must complete their initial program that they registered for to be eligible for a transfer to another school. For our complete refund policy, please click here.

Important Information Regarding Change of Status for B-1/B-2 Holders:

Please keep in mind that on April 6, 2017, the immigration service posted guidance reaffirming that B-1/B-2 holders must maintain their non-immigrant status while their change of status request to F-1 is pending. Please check the guidance here.

USDHS Helpful Links: